Search This Blog

Friday, June 25, 2010

LIghten Up! Learn and Have Fun.

While most workers complain about their managers (mine probably do), they probably don't see that some managers truly appreciate them.  We all can get "lost" in the moments of everyday and not realize that, even though somebody is telling us to do something that we don't like, they are simultaneously appreciating us for what we do, caring about us, and aware of our interdependence.  My biggest "management mistake" is that I don't know how to have "fun".  I enjoy working, so it's "fun" for me.  Studying theories, discussing difficult topics... that's all "fun" to me.  I'm lucky enough, however, to have some co-workers who will talk to me about the need for adults to have fun while they learn (just as kids do).  They get a little defensive when I don't understand, but that's okay because I'm stubborn and too often seek to be understood first.  How many parents get into the same types of situations?  A child is trying to express something, but the parent can't (or won't) understand, and then frustration and arguments ensue because the parent wants the child to understand his/her point of view first.  A kid, for example, is just having "fun" pretending to paint with water on the porch and gets in trouble, even though the porch will, eventually, dry up.  No harm done, but the child did safely learn something about the properties of water and build some skills.  That's what my staff is trying to help me understand now, and that's what I'm trying to share with you.  I see it well in children, but not adults.  We "old folk" can have fun while learning, too.  Why not get down with your kid and "paint" the porch with a brush and some water?  It's water!  You could paint the whole house and not hurt anything, but it will help the child to learn, to build coordination and muscle skills, and everyone will have one more great memory to put in the most important "bank" of all.  Thanks to my staff for being patient with me and helping me to see that adult learning can, and should, be fun!  Thanks to those of you who read this blog, I know that it can be "technical" and not so "fun", so I'm going to try to incorporate more fun stories, anecdotes, etc. in future posts.  Keep it tuned to this channel and let's have fun going down this slide of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment